Re: smbclient not form feeding

Colin Telmer wrote:

> I posted the following message to comp.protocols.smb but I thought that
> other debian users may know the solution. Any help is gratefully
> appreciated. Cheers, Colin.
>
> comp.protocols.smb #12964
> [1]
> From: telmerco@qed.econ.queensu.ca (Colin Telmer)
> [1] smbclient not form feeding?
> Date: Fri May 09 19:57:44 EDT 1997
>
> First of all, I am trying to print from my linux machine to a win95
> machine using smbclient. The server is MAIN and there are two shares, D
> and HPLIII, where D is the CDROM drive and HPLIII is the printer
> (obviously). I can sucessfully do
>
>               "smbclient '\\MAIN\D' -I aa.bb.cc.dd"
>
> and list files, etc. so the connection is fine. However, when I try to use
> the printer via
>
> "smbclient '\\MAIN\HPLIII' -I aa.bb.cc.dd -N -P -c 'print test.txt'"
>
> nothing happens until I walk over to the printer and do a manual form
> feed. I made sure that I converted test.txt to dos fileformat before hand.
> Any idea how to fix this?

Unfortunately, this is in fact normal. Newer printers (which print
only a whole page at a time) still work like old Dot Matrix printers.
They only print what you send them. They don't have a good sense of
when a job is finished. You'd think this would be built into the
Windows print spooler, huh? Nope. So unless you a) send a page to
the printer which is exactly one whole page full or b) include
a form feed character at the end of the document, it won't finish.
This has nothing to do with Samba. Just tack a form-feed character
onto the end of your document. You can do this with

  echo -e '\f' >> test.txt

> On a related note, I always need to specify the ip address with the -I
> switch or else I get a "ERRNO=111". Is this normal?

I don't think so. I've seen this bug before with other programs and
I've yet to track it down.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com