Re: motherboard

On Sat, 10 May 1997, Craig Sanders wrote:

> On Fri, 9 May 1997, John Maheu wrote:
>
> > I'm in the market for a new motherboard. I want to run a P100 and
> > eventually a P166. Any suggestions? What about Gigabyte?

I am also in the market for a new motherboard, but I want to run a
PPro180, a Cyrix, or AMD K6 at 180 MHz (or equivalent).  The Cyrix and
AMD chips are said to be as fast as the PPro for protected mode code,
and better optimised than the PPro for 16 bit code.

Care to comment?

> i've got a gigabyte 586-hx here. i'd have no hesitation in buying
> another one.[...]
> another good board is the Tyan Tomcat III (either single or dual [...]
> get some more memory) . Costs a little more than the Gigabyte.

Approximately how much do these boards cost? Would you suggest vendors,
and comment on the service?

I am also concerned about cache. PPro has the L2 cache on board.  (I
think 256K but don't know the precise number)  It is _L2_ cache isn't
it?  Is there a better way to find out than ask Intel for sone of their
advertisements?

What about cache for the Cyrix and AMD chips?

Craig, thanks for an informative post.

--David
           LINUX: the FREE 32 bit OS for [345]86 PC's available NOW!
David B Teague | User interface copyrights & software patents make
teague@wcu.edu | programing a dangerous business. Ask me or lpf@lpf.org

spy counter-intelligence wild porno sex gold bullion Soviet Bosnia clipper