Hanging diald connections

I have encountered a problem with diald. I was wondering if anybody
else has seen something similar.

I was experimenting to make it harder for diald to connect, and one
experiment was to record some specific hosts in /etc/hosts in order to
keep diald from brining the line up just to consult the nameserver.

But if I subsequently tried to connect to that particular host, the
link would start up as normal, but the program would just hang and get
nowhere. Killing the application and trying again, or trying the
application from another shell (after the link had come up) worked
fine, as did connecting to another host, most likely because the
nameserver query would bring the link up before the actual
communication took place.

Doing a trace on the hanging program showed that it was hanging in
connect().

I have experienced the problem both ssh (secure shell) and trying to
fetch mail via POP in emacs.

Christian Lynbech          | Computer Science Department, University of Aarhus
Office: R0.32              | Ny Munkegade, Building 540, DK-8000 Aarhus C
Phone: +45 8942 3218       | lynbech@daimi.aau.dk -- www.daimi.aau.dk/~lynbech