problem with "halt" command to shutdown

Hi,
i used the "halt" command to shutdown my linux box and i receive a
message like: "unable to find the runlevel, using hard halt"
After that, my computer was totally frozen. So, i used the reset to reboot
my computer. My partition appear wasn't properly unmounted and a check was
needed. Fortunalety, all my partitions was ok.
Any one can help me to correct my halt command? Every time i used this
command before, everything was done properly.

Dany Dionne
Physics Department
Laval University, Canada