laptop advice

Hi,

I am new to this list.  I apologize in advance for asking a question
that is probably fairly common.

I will buy a laptop sometime soon and would like it to run X windows
under Debian Linux.  I am trying to set up something that is as much
like the sun sparc 2 I have at work as possible (but spend around
$3000!).  The programs that I use the most are emacs, TeX, and various
technical math programs, usually shareware things written in C, but I
will probably also run Maple.  I program in perl and C.  If anyone out
there has an opinion about which laptop to get and where I would
greatly appreciate advice.

Thanks,
Dave