ftp dselect for unstable/non-free

Recently Tim Sailer mentioned that the mysql package is in hamm.  When
I ran dselect from ftp.debian.org using the ftp method I did not see
any trace of it.  I then looked a bit more closely and discovered that
it was in hamm/non-free.

If I want to see the development versions of the non-free packages
listed in dselect instead of the stable versions what do I specify for
the debian directory and for the list of distributions? I tried a
couple of combinations such as the one below but with no joy.  Either
a Packages file is not available or the name under which a package is
being selected is off by one directory.

I enclose a sample run.

BTW, since this is an important piece of software for the Debian
release I will take the liberty of suggesting a spelling correction in
this output.  It should be "space separated", not "space seperated".
Some (human) editors would even insist upon "space-separated list" but
that may be getting too pedantic.

 Enter debian directory [/debian/hamm]: /debian

 Note: order here is important.  Package files are scanned in order so
 later distributions will override earlier ones.

 So put stable before unstable.

 Enter space seperated list of distributions to get
 [non-free contrib hamm]: hamm

 Enter directory to download binary package files to
 (relative to /var/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/)
 [debian]:

 Using FTP to check directories...(stop with ^C)

 Connecting to ftp.debian.org...
 Login as anonymous...
 Setting transfer mode to binary...
 Cd to /debian...
 Checking hamm/binary-i386...
 Warning: Couldn't find a Packages file in hamm/binary-i386
 This may not be a problem if the directory is a symbolic link
 Closing ftp connection...
 press return to continue

--
Douglas Bates                            bates@stat.wisc.edu
Statistics Department                    608/262-2598