Debian at Home

I would like to install Debian on a system I have at home.
Are there any packages that should not be installed when
I install Debian ?  I'm thinking that some packages might
require DNS services or other services, and would hang
Debian if the services were not found.....
I guess my question is: Can Debian be installed 'out-of-the-box'
on a system that is not connected to any network, or do I have
to pull some packages ?
(disregarding the access to the packages)

Thanks,
Matthew