Re: .gif rot

On Tue, 6 May 1997, Ralph Winslow wrote:

> After X has run for awhile, I notice a substantial degradation in the
> quality of the .gif images that I display.  There might also be a bit of
> decline iin the image quality of the .jpg images as well.  I've decided
> to spring for the $20 that another Mb of Vidcard memory will set me
> back, but should I expect it to help, or is there some other path I
> might check out?  TIA for any clue.

 Well, as has been pointed out, you can run programs with an option to
install a private colormap (e.g. '-install' for Netscape, '-colormap
Private' for ImageMagick) and you won't see this effect, but your colors
will do psychedelic changes when you switch between applications.

 I personally sprang for the extra Mb and run in 16bpp now. It's very
nice, and .jpg images are more colorful, too. (GIFs only hold 8 bits of
color information - JPGs hold a lot more, 24 bits or more. So if you can
display more than 256 colors they often look noticeably better.) My video
card (Diamond Stealth 64 Trio64) also got noticeably faster, though this
wasn't an outrageous improvement.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                (810) 377-7735            inglesra@frc.com

              Anagrams of "FANUC Robotics North America":

 bun of characteristic maroon             omaha reconstruction fabric
 a cubic transformation chore             cherub fractionation macros
                      cube of anachronistic mortar