Re: ideas about moving Debian to another hard drive

On Tue, 6 May 1997, Robert D. Hilliard wrote:

> On Tue, 6 May 1997, you wrote:
> > I agree with Rick M. on this one, although I would suggest adding the -x
> > option. This way if there are any additional mounted file systems, like
> > user, or home, then they will be left off the copy and can be mounted as
> > before on the new system.
>
>      cp -ax certainly is much simpler than using find and cpio.  Is
> there any option to cp (I can't find one) that would keep it from
> copying /proc, like the -prune option in find?

Doesn't the x options do this? /proc is listed in fstab as a "mounted"
file system, so the x option should keep it from copying. If it doesn't,
just go into the copied partition afterward and delete everything but the
mount point and it should work. Otherwize, I guess you could unmount /proc
before you did the copy.

Luck,

Dwarf