Re: hot-change disk arrays...can I do it on Linux?

The drives themselves are not any different.  The hot swap trays have
the functionality to power the drives down before removal or up after
insertion.  Such trays and drives could be used with the md utilities
under Linux to provide striped (raid 0), mirrored (raid 1), or striped
and mirrored arrays.  Raid 5 (striped, with parity) isn't supported.

Although hardware raid is independent of the operating system, they
usually include operating system specific utilities for configuring
and monitoring the arrays.  Without these utilities, it is hard, if
not impossible, to format a new array, replace a failed drive, etc.

--Brian