Re: hot-change disk arrays...can I do it on Linux?

Pete Templin <templin@bucknell.edu> writes:

> Hot-swap drives: this is a functionality of the drives, right?  I'd
> have to have disk drives that were manufactured to stand up to that,
> correct?

The hardware (and maybe the software too) must support hot-swap.

> Assuming that I have a hot-swap disk in my machine and a spare disk on
> my shelf, and that I was not using RAID or anything special on that
> disk, would I need a special controller or customizations to the OS to
> use it (i.e. be able to take out the failed drive and stick in the new
> (formatted) drive)?  Is hot-swap only for RAID arrays?

Hot-swap is most useful when the missing data that was located on the
failed disk can be auto-regenerated, either from a mirror disk or using
a parity disk.

> Hardware RAID: Hardware RAID is independent of the operating system,
> right?  Aside from software to control/tweak the array parameters, I
> need only to have "driver" support for the controller, right?

Ideally, yes, although the OS could possibly need to control some
functions.  It depends on the hardware.

> Hot-growth arrays: Our NT servers have the ability to add a disk to the
> RAID array live on the fly.  All the administrator has to do is tell the
> controller to add the new disk to the array and BINGO! bigger array.  Is
> that a functionality of the controller?  What other parts of the computing
> system need to be modified to support that (i.e. can I do that with my
> Debian systems)?

The filesystem needs to be expanded.  I believe Theodore Ts'o is working
on writing (or is planning to write) a filesystem expansion program for
ext2.

Dan