Re: Where would I submit a new feature for the kernel?

Solaris uses a numbering scheme based on the scsi controller, target,
disk (in
case of bridge boards that may have more than one disk on the same
target,
or scsi id) and partition (or slice).  Specifically, /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0
refers
to the first partition on the first disk on the first target on the
first
controller, etc.  On the other hand, Data General Unix, dgux, requires
each
disk to have a "name" that is user configurable.  The operating system
creates the device nodes for the logical disks on the fly as part of the
boot process, under paths such as /dev/dsk/YourNameHere.  This means
that
regardless of what relative order, scsi id or controller, each drive
gets
mounted the same.