how to make ncurses programs show color in xterm?

Slang programs use color in my xterms, as does ls, but most curses programs
lack color when I run them in an xterm. I know I can get color by setting
TERM to xterm-color, but then when I exit a curses application, the color is
not reset to normal.

Has anyone gotten this to work right? I see that xterm-color has this entry
which I think is supposed to reset the colors:

        op=\E[37;40m

And if I look at what slang programs are sending to the screen, I see that
they send this sequence before shutting down. But when I run a ncurses
program, it also seems to send this sequence, and yet the screen is messed
up.

Anybody gotten this to work properly?

--
See shy Jo.