Re: /sbin/dump unable to resolve 'ext2_llseek'

Joerg Delker writes:
 > Norris Preyer wrote:
 > > Douglas Bates writes:
 > >  > On Tuesday I installed several updated packages from bo.  I noticed
 > >  > this morning that file system dumps have been failing since then.

 > > Downgrading e2fsprogs to 1.06-3 (in stable) fixed dump for me.
 >
 > Well, it solved the symbol-problem, but brought me a new error:
 >
 > |   DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Sat May  3 00:54:35 1997
 > |   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
 > |   DUMP: Dumping /dev/hda5 (/home) to standard output
 > |   DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
 > |   DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
 > |   DUMP: estimated 145102 tape blocks.
 > |   DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
 > |   DUMP: master/slave protocol botched.
 > |   DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
 >
 > Any Idea on that?
 >
 > --
 > | EINSTEIN     Joerg Delker, DataBaseAdmin (dbguru) E3.148, Tel.: 3318 |
 > | ========     University of Paderborn, Computer Science               |
 > | e-mail:  einstein@uni-paderborn.de  -  einstein@wofa.bi.eunet.de     |
 > | Bayernweg 64, 33102 Paderborn, Germany, Tel.: +49 5251 480578        |

I've not seen the master/slave message before and don't know what it
means.

The lastest packages from unstable seem to work fine now, so you might
want to try upgrading and see if things improve.  This is what I've
been using successfully:

# dpkg -l dump e2fsprogs
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
||/ Name            Version        Description
ii  dump            0.3-14         Ported 4.4BSD dump and restore utilities.
ii  e2fsprogs       1.10-2         The EXT2 file system utilities.
#

HTH,
Norris

--