rescuing

Hi,

I've run into a problem using a rescue disk that I haven't seen before.
The boot disk finds all the devices (scsi, etc...) and then asks for the
root disk. The ramdisk is found ok. Then, I get a screen telling me that
the computer has "relatively little memory" and that I should activate
swap. The computer has 32MB of memory and this has always been adequate
for launching the menu system on the rescue disk. In addition, BIOS
confirms that the system has 32 megs...can anyone think why the boot/root
combo would get confused about the system memory? Thanks

J. Goldman