How I installed frozen using dselect.

Hiya,

Dselect only gives one the choice between mounting stable or unstable.
I wanted to beta test frozen before the release date and so needed to
somehow convince dselect to allow this - but found no option to.
(I hear that using ftp install this isn't the case, but I installed from
a mounted drive)

Here's the solution:

I keep the debian distribution on /mnt/debian.
First make an alternative top structure.

	mkdir /mnt/debian2; cd /mnt/debian2

Now recreate the directory structure that is contained in /mnt/debian

	#This wee line creates a secont root tree
	ls -1 --directory ../debian/* | sed 's$\.\.\/debian\/$$' |  \
		xargs -n 1 -i ln -s ../debian/{} ./{}

Now we must trick dselect into believing its installing unstable

	rm unstable; ln -s ../debian/frozen ./unstable

Thats it!  Now just tell dselect where the alternative tree is rooted and
say yes when dselect prompts whether you want to install the unstable
distribution!

Regards,
jay

ps: am not on the mailing lists so please CC any comments
pps: if anyone wants a point and click GUI interface to the above, then
	just mail me and I'll put something together for you using
	widtools.  We could call it Xdefrost  ;)  hehe!!