Re: rxvt

A.D.Y. Cheng wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a strange problem. When I am using xterm, my "backspace" key acts
> like Ctrl-H which is fine. However, if I use rxvt, my "backspace" key
> gives me rubbish. I do not understand. I thought if one key works in
> xterm, it should has the same behaviour in rxvt.
> Can someone tell me how to change the behaviour of "backspace" key in rxvt
> to normal?
> By the way, I am using Acer Win-95 keyboard.
>
> Thanks very much in advance!
>
> Anthony

You can change the "backspace" key stty. If you want Backspace to
have the backspace function, then you would use 'stty erase ^h'
(yes, type the "^", don't use CTRL). If you want Delete to have
the backspace function (in fact, this is the Unix standard, or at
least it used to be) you would use 'stty erase ^?'. If you use bash
it generally works with either--I don't know if this feature is
due to the readline library or what. I suspect you don't use bash.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com