emacs giving fatal error on new installation

Hi,

We've just switch from Slackware to Debian 1.2 on a AST Premmia
SE/66 and we are getting a fatal error (11) segmentation fault when
we run emacs. This is our third system the put Debian on and the first
time this has happen. Any suggestions on where we've could of gone wrong
would be appreciated.

Rick Berger   (819) 953-7019
Labour Operations Applications Development
Human Resources Development Canada