Re: /dev/ttyS3-permission for efax-user

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.95.970430172043.26754A-100000@fiesta.philonline.com.ph>,
Michael J. Maravillo <mmj@philonline.com.ph> wrote:
>On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Johann Spies wrote:
>
>>When I tried "fax send -m foo" as user, I received the following error
>>message.
>>
>>efax: removed stale lock /var/lock/LCK..ttyS3 from pid 373
>>efax: Error: tty device open
>>/dev/ttyS3:Permission denied
>>efax: done, returning 2
>>
>>I then (as su) typed
>>
>>  chmod u+rw /dev/ttyS3
>>
>>but it did not help.
>
>How about "chmod ugo+rw /dev/ttyS3"

If you are the only user on your system, then you can do that. Otherwise,
you've just allowed everybody to use the modem and dial to those nice
Australian BBS'es :)

The correct thing to do, is to make /dev/ttyS3 owned by root:dialout,
mode 0660 (crw-rw---). Then add any user that must have access to a
dialout device to the group "dialout" (edit /etc/group with "vigr").

If you also happen to run mgetty on the serial port, edit /etc/mgetty.config
and make sure mgetty resets the port modes to root:dialout mode 0660

Mike.
--
|    Miquel van      |  "I need more space" "Well, why not move to Texas" |
| miquels@cistron.nl |  "No, on my account, stupid." "Stupid? Uh-oh.."    |