Problems with X fonts

I have used the Dec 96 InfoMagic cd set to install Debian 1.2 on a
couple machines.  On one machine I had trouble installing X.  When
dselect was installing/configuring xfntbase, the program mkfontdir
printed a whole bunch of messages like this:

   mkfontdir: unable to process font ./5x7.pcf.Z, skipping

and mkfontdir ended up dumping core.  Later, I was able to run X -probeonly,
but when I tried to really run the X server, it complained about not
being able to find the font 'fixed', and exited immediately.

I noticed that there are two versions of xbase, 3.2-1 and 3.2-1a.
There are also two versions of xlib6.  When dselect is in the install
step, I noticed that it says
Version 3.2-1a of xbase already installed, skipping.
Will not downgrade xbase from version 3.2-1a to 3.2-1, skipping.

but then later it says
Preparing to replace xlib6 3.2-1 (using .../x11/xlib6_3.2-1a.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xlib6 ...
Preparing to replace xlib6 3.2-1a (using .../x11/xlib6_3.2-1.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xlib6 ...

This is on the machine that has the problem.

Has anyone seen this problem?  Any advice?

--
Steve Preston (spreston@gte.com)