Re: New Hard Disk

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Syd Alsobrook wrote:

> I'm trying to add space to my system and all i have is a 170meg HD what I
> want to do is move everything from /usr/lib to the new HD and have the new
> drive mount at that point. I would like to have the move done in one
> command. is that posible or will i have to move the whole tree by hand?

Sure..  Mount the new partition under /mnt, then:

(get into single user mode)
cd /usr/lib
tar -cvO . | (cd /mnt ; tar -xpf - )
(Now check the files and perms under /mnt, and make sure it's ok)
cd /usr/lib (in case you left there...)
rm -rf *
cd ..
mount -t ext2 /dev/newpartition /usr/lib
(Now change your /etc/fstab accordingly)

Be careful!  Backup your data first!

Jason Costomiris                 | Finger for PGP 2.6.2 Public Key
jcostom@sjis.com                 | "There is a fine line between idiocy
My employers like me, but not	 | and genius.  We aim to erase that line"
enough to let me speak for them. |			--Unknown

	        	http://www.jasons.org/~jcostom