Re: help with printing, please...

smorrill wrote:

> sorry, this is a second request...
>
> Is there any way I can send what's actually showing on the on the screen
> to the printer?  I'm trying to get XFree86 running and getting a lot of
> error messages.  I'd like to be able to print these out so I can try to
> address the problems without having to write everything down...  As is
> obvious, I'm really new at this Linux stuff, so I'm still very much in
> the thrashing around stages.
>
> I'm using Debian Release 1.2 on a 586 / 133 mhz coexisting with
> winbloze95... I can't even get my ppp stuff going yet so I have to still
> use winbloze to connect to the 'net.. I'm so ashamed!!  :(

Ok. Assuming you are printing via the standard (what would be LPT1
in Dos/Windows) parallel port and your printer is ok to print
plain ascii when it receives it: 1) Make sure you have parallel
port support in your kernel. I don't know if it is by default these
days. You can find out by doing 'cat /proc/devices'. You should see
a line under "Character devices:" which says 'X lp'. If so then
you're set with the kernel. Then, you should be able to print by
just directing the output from X into the device. You'll have to
make sure that the perms on the device allow writing by whoever
you're running as. If you use startx to run X, then you can type:

startx >/dev/lp1 2>&1

This should send all that diag info to the printer (although a
formfeed may be necessary if your printer won't print out the
last page until it receives this. Then you could do an

echo '\f' > /dev/lp1

To get the printer to spit out the page.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com