Re: ACM 4.7-3 with Debian Linux 1.2.4

On Mon, 28 Apr 1997, Nicola Bernardelli wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, Nicola Bernardelli wrote:
>
> >      Sad to say, I'm not replying to my own question about Air Combat
> > Maneuvers under Debian 1.2.4...
>
>      Not yet...

     And not yet, but I can rebuild the binaries now. I found that the
configure script did not actually complain for lack of any random
generator, instead silently it was getting an error from ld, unable to
link -lelf; afterwards, src/server.c was trying to include filio.h, which
seem to be well represented by file.h; so here are two very small patch
files, see attachments (of course, the first one may not be necessary... I
tried reconfiguring ld but I still HAD to do that change to the configure
script; and for the second, you could avoid it just creating inside
/usr/include/sys/ a symbolic link filio.h -> file.h).

     Now, inside the acm-4.7 dir:

     ./configure
     ./make
     cd src
     ./acms &
          (now under an xterm session of course)
     ./acm -geometry 320x200

     Everything still sloooooooow.

     Maybe the keyboard or the mouse configuration? What's so heavy? Or is
it some timer that works in a different way under Debian (1.2.4) than
under Slackware (almost up to 3.1 December '96)?
     I mean, today it is ACM, tomorrow may be a cad or mathematics package
or whatelse. Why is it so slow under Debian? Is the "rotor" mode of xlock
slower than elsewhere too?

     A-ehm, I was forgetting... About that complain, it was something like
"can't load libX11.so...": saw ld documentation, incompatible binary
types... Damn, just installed xcompat and that was ok.

     Nicola Bernardelli <nbern@mail.protos.it>
messages will return even when I'm not at home.
585c585,586
<  LIBS="$LIBS -lelf"
---
> # LIBS="$LIBS -lelf"