Re: Newby: dselect failure

George Bonser <grep@oriole.sbay.org> writes:

> One trick that I have learned is to SELECT NOTHING the first time you run
> dselect, simply let it install the PRESELECTED things only. THEN run
> dselect again and choose your other software.

The original problem was problems with installing the quota
package. I'd suggest trying dselect again, but without selecting
quota. If that fails to work, or there are lots of problems then the
advice above is worth following. When the other packages are
installed, try quota again. In either case it is probably worth
submitting a bug report - I've checked, and there is only one bug
against quota, and it wouldn't have caused your problem. See
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting.html for details on how to submit
a bug.

The problems occur because packages sometimes depend on other packages
being installed. They shouldn't do this (in most cases), but the
problems are sometimes difficult to spot.

An alternative solution may be to try the packages in frozen - though
this includes the same version of quota.

Chris