NIS problem, please Help

Hello,

here at the CS students lab of the University of Bologna  we have
a debian linux NIS server running on a 166Mhz Pentium with 64Mb,
it serves a cluster of 20 debian linux boxes.
We are having some problems with the NIS:

	1. Our ypserv is consuming up to 90% CPU time,
	   We have very big maps (600 lines in passwd
	   and 2 hundreds more in group)
	   is it normal?

	2. If we stop nis and we restart it
	   we have this messages from Cron  at run
	   yp_next: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out

	3. filesystems exported to netgoups are not
	   trusted (permission denied)
	   the save is for netgroups in
	   hosts.{allow,deny,equiv}

related deb: 	libc5 		5.4.20-1
		netbase 	2.09-1
		netstd		2.12-1
		libreadline2	2.0.1-2

	Thank you in advice
 				ricky

Richard Zoni	       !e-mail 		zoni@cs.unibo.it
Via Emilia Ponente 28/3!homepage	http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zoni
40133 Bologna(BO) ITALY!phone/fax	++39 51 380 327
*Public Key available in the homepage or via finger*