Problems with mail and news

Hello,

o.k., I have to give up (sigh!) and ask some more experienced debianers.
I changed my distribution from SuSE to Debian and there are some
problems I can't cope with.

When I try to run Knews or pine I get the messages
"Incomplete mail domain" (pine) and
"Couldn't determine domain name. POsting will not be possible."

I cant't even manage to use the (normally) easy to install newsflash-
program from Markus Dickebohm; it gives a "119: host is unreachable"
(but a "telnet localhost 119" is possible).

I think I have done something wrong during the configuration of inn
and sendmail (in SuSE these things have been done in the background I
think).

On the other hand I can get news via popclient.

Which packages do I have to install and which scripts do I have to
configure to get everything right (assume that my linux-box is named
"daddel", my static IP-Adress is 123.45.678.123 and is only used as a
stand-alone machine with ppp-connection)?

Another question is: Where can I change the character set from
US-Ascii to iso-8859-1?

Thanks a lot.