Re: Can't login to bo

I had the same problem.  I could only log in if I booted single, eg.
loadlin zImage root=/dev/hda3 ro single.  After a lot of trial and
error,
I determined that nis was the culprit.  If you delete all start links
to /etc/init.d/nis in your default runlevel, and any others that you
use,
and reboot, you should be able to log in.  In other words, delete all
such /etc/rc?.d/S??nis.  I don't know what the problem with nis is but
I really don't need it anyway.

--Brian