Re: netscape won't use disk cache?! (Solution) (for some)

Alexandre Lebrun <lebrun@hermes.kawo1.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
> >
> > I've got similar problems. I have Netscape 4.0b3 and disk cache doesn't
> > seems to work : the cache directory is empty, the index.db file is also
> > created...
> > Cheers,
>
> I supposed you missed the solution, or it was not clearly posted :
>
> I had to select 'clear disk cache now' in the option/network menu.
> Now it works fine.
>
> I suppose I still had a cache directory from a previous version, and that
> netscape was unable to cope with it. Or I erased it with rm -r and that
> trashed the database. Anyway, it should have complained !!

Sorry I didn't clarify this earlier, but this does NOT solve the
problem for me.  (I was the one who started this thread BTW.)
I may have been guilty of 'rm -r' on my .netscape/cache at some stage,
but I've tried things like removing all of ~/.netscape, using
a different cache directory, using a clean new users account, etc.
Still no use of disk cache (though memory cache works fine, can be
cleared ok, etc.)

Serves me right for using non-free software I guess; if I had some
source I could at least have fun _trying_ to find something out...

-- David Pfitzner