Re: Things I miss from Slackware - Could I implement this in my Debian system?

Hi!

first of all, all three things are possible afaik.

>   1: Adjust itself to the screen size in console and Xterm. It seems
>      to be 80 chars wide even when I run SVGATextMode and get 132x60.

I remember that I have encountered a similar problem but vice versa.
I found out (or ... hmm... I may have patched my man program) that
you can set an environment variable.  Hmm... but at the moment I can't
find its name.  Please take a look at the source :-)

>   2: Adjust the colors used. From what I remember, the Slackware used
>      green on keywords, and white on err... filnames? (The colors
>      aren't that important, but it _did_ improve readability.

This is one problem which stops me from converting my server to
Debian...  You can patch the terminfo database but I believe it is
more difficult than editing /etc/termcap (which isn't used anymore).

> less :
>   Would it be easy to use the lesspipe.sh ? Could I just set the
>   LESSOPEN variable to point at the script, and use that?

I have these set variables in my environment which do their job
properly.

LESS=-iMM
LESSCHARSET=latin1
LESSOPEN=|lesspipe %s