Re: Camera drivers under Debian

> Hey, folks!
>

> 	I finally have a project in the wings that may actually pay $$$ for
> me to deploy a real live debian based solution... that would be cool in many
> ways and it would mean that I could finally have a debian environment on my
> desktop with some hope of having time to contribute to the betterment of the
> community. :-)
>
> Question:  I need to be able to hook up a Camera to the computer... Would
> someone be so kind as to provide me with a quick summary as to what hardware
> is compatible and the status of the drivers?  Ie; in your experience, is this
> stuff stable and reliable?

I have no personnal experience, but for my senior project in EE
communications networks I chose the ScreenMachine (one word turns stuff up
better in a web search) frame grabber from Fast Systems Ltd.  It seems to
have good driver support and was reccomended by the Inria Video
Conferencing research team as the one to use with Linux.

If anyone out there hasn't checked out IVS (it's descendent is rendes-vez
or something like that I always buther the spelling) they really should do
so.