Re: HELP: Fatal Signal 11

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Felix Almeida wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, John Maheu wrote:
>
> > Hi all: I'm fairly new to linux. Lately I've been getting a lot of fatal
> > signal 11's.
>
> > gcc: Internal compiler error: program f771 got fatal signal 11
>
>   This error means a problem with your memory or with your cache (try to
> look the GCC FAQ). You can try to disable the cache in your BIOS and
> compile again to check if this error is caused by it or by the main
> memory...

Thanks for all the suggestions. My fan should be OK as I replaced it 2
months ago.
Last night I turned the external cache off in the bios, and ran memtest
over night. This morning I found:

Apr 24 08:03:00 macrae kernel: VFS: Wrong blocksize on device 03:42
Apr 24 08:20:00 macrae kernel: VFS: Wrong blocksize on device 03:42
Apr 24 08:21:00 macrae kernel: EXT2-fs error (device 03:42):
ext2_read_inode: bad inode number: 2147686406
Apr 24 08:26:00 macrae kernel: EXT2-fs warning (device 03:42):
ext2_free_inode:
bit already cleared for inode 110220

I'm hoping this was missed by fsck at the last boot time?

So I ran fsck. However I was able to compile a lot of code without a
signal 11, untill I was in Xwin and only doing a telnet when the server
crashed complaining about catching a Signal 11. Very Strange
John
John Maheu
Queen's University
Dept. of Economics