Re: Wavelan cards and PCI ethernet

Richard L Shepherd <richards@waikato.ac.nz> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install a wavelan card into a linux box.  The setup is:
> Digital Celebris XL 5166
> Digital DE450 PCI Combo Ethernet Card (using tulip driver)
> Western Digital (wd8003) 8-bit (el-cheapo) Ethernet card (using wd driver)
> Built-In NCR SCSI Host (using 53c7,8xx driver)
> Adaptec 2940 Ultr-Wide PCI SCSI (using aic7xxx driver)
> (some PCI video card, who cares)
>
> The wavelan card I want to install is:
> NCR Wavelan v1.04 (930406), IRQ 10, Port 300
>
> I have tried having the drivers for the 2 ethernet cards, and the wavelan
> card, as modules, but the wavelan card is not recognised initially and the
> DE450 is assigned IRQ 10 (is that how PCI does it, just looks for a free
> one?) and so I cannot load the wavelan driver anymore?
>
> I tried another tack: compiled the wavelan driver into the kernel and left
> the other 2 as modules, sure enough it now assigns the DE450 to eth1 but
> still uses IRQ 10, so I'm still stuffed.
>
> I noticed that the driver for the wavelan probes only at 0x390, whereas I
> believe this card is at 0x300 so I altered the wavelan.c file to match
> this, but still no go!
>
> Could anyone help me here please?  TIA,
>
> 8<--------------------------------------->8
> Richard Shepherd (richards@waikato.ac.nz)
>

> --

Well i don´t now the wavlan card, but i asume it is an ISA card.
Depending on what BIOS you have, you shoud have a way to configure the
assingment of IRQ´s for the PCI Slots. The deault setting is Auto
and any IRQ. You can try leaving AUTO, and reserve IRQ 10 for ISA.
If that doesen´t work you still try to assing the IRQ´s you want for the
PCI slots.

Hope it helps!