Re: Again - Multilink PPP vs. EQL

> >To: "Steve Hsieh" <steveh@eecs.umich.edu>
> >Cc: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> EQL;
> alternative.

> > > etc.
> >
> > I thought mutlilink PPP was something only available for ISDN?  If i'm
> > incorrect, someone correct me.

     I have been looking at multilink ppp right now. (Trying to
understand it really.)  There is an RFC on it that gives a broad
description of it and directly states that it is not intended to be
used on only one link service.  From the way it reads it should be
able to handle one dial up analog modem and one ISDN (or more) at the
same time.  My ISP has currently been moving to a new location and
has been supporting a Fractional T1 frame relay line to handle one of
his old modem banks.  A few days ago the router on the CSU/DSU died
and the T1 bill came in at the same time.  For the heck of it he set
up several modems on the modem server for multilink ppp and had one
call the new office.  If several people call into the old modem bank
one of the other modems dials up and starts sharing the load.  He let
old Bell kill the T1 line and now only uses the dialup.  The response
isn't too fast but it's miles cheaper than T1.  Once the modems are
running together the second doesn't drop our right away so it works
ok.  This message will actually go over that link.  If you would like
to know what the RFC is I can find out, it's at work and I am
extremely interested in it.  The modem server brand escapes me right
now but I can find that out too.