Re: problem ftpd

On 22 Apr 1997, Rob Browning wrote:

> Comet Mercantile <cometmer@icanect.net> writes:
>
> > I can't login into my box the ftpd denies access to everyone! I check the
> > files /etc/hosts.deny /etc/hosts.allow /etc/ftpd/ftpaccess and they are
> > all fine! what else could it be? I am using wu-ftpd..
>
> Could this be the problem caused by a recent revision of the cvs
> package?  It deleted all the entries in /etc/inetd.conf.  See if yours
> is mostly empty.
Nope  it looks pretty normal to me here is what it looks like
# /etc/inetd.conf:  see inetd(8) for further informations.
#
# Internet server configuration database
#
#
# Lines starting with "#:LABEL:" or "#<off>#" should not
# be changed unless you know what you are doing!
#
# Packages should modify this file by using update-inetd(8)
#
#
#:INTERNAL: Internal services
#echo           stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
#echo           dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
#chargen        stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
#chargen        dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
discard         stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
discard         dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
daytime         stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
daytime         dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
time            stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal

time            dgram   udp     wait    root    internal

#:STANDARD: These are standard services.
##ftp           stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/in.ftp
telnet          stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/in.tel
netd
ftp             stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/wu-ftp

#:BSD: Shell, login, exec and talk are BSD protocols.
shell           stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/in.rsh
login           stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/in.rlo
gind
exec            stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/in.rex
ecd
talk            dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/in.tal
kd
ntalk           dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/in.nta
lkd

#:MAIL: Mail, news and uucp services.

#:INFO: Info services
finger          stream  tcp     nowait  nobody  /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/in.fin
gerd
ident           stream  tcp     nowait  nobody  /usr/sbin/identd
identd -

#:BOOT: Tftp service is provided primarily for booting.  Most sites
# run this only on machines acting as "boot servers."
#tftp           dgram   udp     wait    nobody  /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/in.tft
pd /boot
#bootps         dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/bootpd
bootpd -
i -t 120

#:RPC: RPC based services
#mountd/1       dgram   rpc/udp wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/rpc.mo
untd
#rstatd/1-3     dgram   rpc/udp wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/rpc.rs
tatd
#rusersd/2-3    dgram   rpc/udp wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/rpc.ru
sersd
#walld/1        dgram   rpc/udp wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/rpc.rw
alld

#:HAM-RADIO: amateur-radio services

#:OTHER: Other services

smtp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/in.smtpd

Hope this helps! its very annoying and I haven't really done any changes
for this to have happenned! I am using BO btw maybe thats it.