Re: Debian on a Compaq Deskpro XL

nico@oshima.sonytel.be (Nico De Ranter) writes:

> I'm trying to install Debian Linux on a Compaq Deskpro XL.
> I have located the Linux Compaq Deskpro XL HOWTO but there
> is only information on how to create the bootdisks for Slackware
> and RedHat.  Did anybody try to install Debian on such a
> system?

I've been running Debian quite happily on my Deskpro XL at work for a
few months now.

All I had to do was download the kernel patch available from a URL
given in that HOWTO, apply it to a copy of the source I had on a
friend's machine, make a kernel, mount the rescue disk, copy the new
kernel over the old one, and run rdev.sh on the floppy. And everything
worked like a charm. :)

--
Brought to you by the letters P and E and the number 11.
"XTC versus Adam Ant -- which one will survive?" -- They Might Be Giants