URGENT: 586 assumptions?

Are there vital packages (like libc maybe?) that are compiled with
the assumption of a Pentium processor?  I've lately (approximately
but not exactly since I upgraded to libc 5.4.2x) started having
machine failures with untrappable divide-by-zero errors.  The machine
is a 3 year old 486/33, so it's quite possibly hardware, but it struck
me as something that could possibly be due to a change in libc or
the like... maybe?  ideas? help!

 --Zachary