Re: how to generate Packages.gz ?

On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, Steve Hsieh wrote:

> I am trying to create my own local directory of debian packages.  Can
> someone tell me what the command is to generate the Package.gz and
> Contents.gz files?

For the packages file you need dpkg-scanpackages. To use this, you will
need the override file for the distribution you are using. This can be
found in the indices directory of any Debian mirror.
The contents file is more complicated. I'm not sure if there is a script
for this, but it consists of the contents output of dpkg for each of the
.deb files cat'ed together into one file. You will not need this for
installation the way you need a Packages file.

Luck,

Dwarf