Re: Detached PGP signatures in mail?

Just a comment...

I am trialing the new IE4 in my position as admin and as supplied it
appears to recognise the PGP messages but is unable to decode them.  (Not
implemented.. not installed maybe??)

The point is, at this time, all I can do is just delete these messages :-(

Other mailers appear to display the message and ignore the signature.
Possibly they assume that you will check the signature yourself if you
want?

 Rowan

>At 22:30 19/04/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>...apparently under the impression
>>> that we're all going to take the time to check whether or not it was
really
>>> you who sent that embarrassing message.
>>
>>Not at all. The point of PGP/MIME (I believe that's what it's called) is
>>that the whole business of signing, checking signatures, etc. can be
>>cleanly and easily automated. I'm sure someone will be able to point you
>>the relevant RFC if you want to know more.
>
>   Well, no, you miss the point completely. You assume that I really care
that every message I receive is genuine or not. Some I do care about (in
which case I'll ask in advance); some I couldn't care less about. I would
suggest that it's out of place
>   The other reason that it's silly to PGP-sign your messages
indiscriminately is that PGP requires me to have a copy of your public key
to verify your signature. Am I supposed to carry a copy of the entire
world's PGP public-key database? Failing that

>   And it's RFC 2015, if you really want to know. I already had a copy of
it, and I'm aware of its contents. I may implement parts of it in the
future,

>   The point of the whole thing is this: if you insist on using PGP as a
toy, then don't complain if others don't like the results of your playing.

>>You mean that Eudora dump
>>all the attachments it sees into a directory? Isn't the point of an
>>attachment that it should stay attached to the mail it came with (until
you
>>detach it)? Ugh. That pretty much rules out Eudora for me as a windows
>>email program.
>
>   I think really we're talking about a philosophical difference here. I'd
rather it did save anything it didn't understand to a file; I can deal with
it immediately rather than having to crank up the mailer again and decide
what to do with it. YMMV.

>>One of the mailers is mutt, available as a Debian package on your
nearest
>>Debian mirror.
>
>   I can't seem to find it as a Debian package (it's not in either rex,
bo, free or non-US), but I suspect it's yet another casualty of the US's
never-to-be-sufficiently-cursed ITAR regulations and not available outside
the US in the PGP-compatible for