Help with sed!

Could someone explain this to me...

To automate the configuration of some of my debian packages, I need to be
able to replace the first (or second, etc.) line in a file by a line I
supply. Now it would seem that this is a job for sed. But the sed 'c'
command expects "\\\n" (i.e. backspace, newline) to precede the replacement
text, and "\n" (i.e. newline) to come after it. Now my question is, how do
I manage to get these characters in a makefile (or when typing on a command
line)?

Thanks,

  Christian