Re: Memory Gobbler

In message <[🔎] 970419184755.10567A-100000@amsterdam.holding.pi.net> you wrote:

>In the booklet I got with my motherboard is stated that my board needs an
>extra "16K*8-15" chip to cache memory > 64 MB.  You can rip this off any
>spare 486 board you have lingering around, I think... if you're looking
>for it in shops, stay looking, anybody I've met denies knowledge of its
>existence.

Nope, you can't rip it off any board.  It's a tag chip and they come
in different widths and sizes.  Tag width, IIRC, is what determines how
much RAM you can cache.  Many 486 boards simply won't have the right
chip.

Anyway, it also depends on the m/b chipset, eg. on pentium boards all
three chipsets support >64M but only one (HX I think) can cache >64M.
Tom's hardware guide is a good place to read all about it.

Dimitri
emaziuk @ curtin.edu.au
Avoid reality at all costs.