Re: Non-US Debian FTP Site? (fwd)

Michael Iles wrote:
> I wanted to install PGP on my system so I searched out
>
>     ftp://os.inf.tu-dresden.de
>
> This site has US and international versions of PGP, as well as some other
> neat crypto-stuff (encrypted filesystem, a mail client, etc.).
>
> I tried to point dselect at it though, and couldn't get it to work. It
> doesn't share the same directory structure as, say, ftp.debian.org.
> Specifically, it doesn't have (stable|non-free|contrib) directories. I
> tried using a '.' for the distributions to get and this worked to get
> the Packages file, but when I tried to install a package it couldn't
> find it on the site.

I was confused with some debian mirrors. Then I do:
- dselect upgrade - from ftp.debian
- dselect install - from local mirror or from another

Now I have many configurations files in /var/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp:
 vars.ftp.debian.org
 vars.sunsite.icm.edu.pl
 vars.ftp.funet.fi
and
 vars.dresden.nousa.

When I want work with some debian site, I make link:
ln -sf vars.dresden.nousa vars in this directory.

First three configs are for standard distributions, but vars.dresden.nousa
is for international packages. I have in vars.dresden.nousa settings:
  $ftpsite='os.inf.tu-dresden.de';
  $passive='1';
  $username='anonymous';
  $password='root@mirek.ikem.pwr.wroc.pl';
  $ftpdir='/pub';
  $distribs='debian-non-US';
  $dldir='debian';
I haven't any problems with this config.

Mirek Kwasniak

(Mirek sent this only to me and then asked that I forward it to
 the list. Thanks for the help, Mirek! - Mike)