Re: NFS and debian packaging system

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Portuesi Simone wrote:

> The problem is that I would like to reduce workarounds as much as
> possible as I'me not the only one to administrate it. Probably the best
> solution is to un-mount the shared partitions when removing packages,
> but:
What parts do you want to share??? I try to share
    /usr
    parts of /var
    /home (in the future)
How to unmount /usr while installing/uninstalling??

>  I don't know how dpkg and dselect are going to react to this.
If I would be dpkg I would complain about a unmounted /usr ;-).

> Yep, I think I can, I just wanted to make installation as clean as
> possible as University installation with many people administrating or
> working at root level  (S.O. and network) experimenting tend to enhance
In my opinion a System can't only be as clean as possible if only one
adminitrator (may be two if the main administrator is absend) does the
job. I think your idea will lead to a confusing system.

> over time all the initial installation flaws, thats why we chose debian
> (as well with others considarations), it's packaging system permits to
> renew and maintain installations at lower risks.
I think that's the right choice :-).

Andreas.