Re: Dial-in Config Problem

Rick wrote:

> This is from the NET-2-HOWTO.  You can find more in the ppp-HOWTO and I
> believe the serial howto.
>
>  Configuring a PPP server is similar to establishing a SLIP server.
>   You can create a special `ppp' account, which uses an executable
>   script as its login shell. The /etc/passwd entry might look like:
>
>        ppp:EncPasswd:102:50:PPP client login:/tmp:/etc/ppp/ppplogin
>
>   and the /etc/ppp/ppplogin script might look like:
>
>        #!/bin/sh
>        exec /usr/sbin/pppd passive :192.1.2.23
>
>   The address that you provide will be the address that the calling
>   machine will be assigned.
>
>   Naturally, if you want multiple users to have simultaneous access you
>   would have to create a number of startup scripts and individual
>   accounts for each to use, as you can only put one ip address in each
>   script.

Sure, you could do that if you want. Actually though, you don't even
have to go that far. mgetty is smart enough to detect PPP on it's
own so you don't really even need an account (read: entry in
/etc/passwd) for a dialin user, or your dialin user can use their
*same* login and password. This can be accomplished by using the
following line in your /etc/mgetty/login :

/AutoPPP/ -     -       /usr/sbin/pppd proxyarp auth -chap +pap login
modem crtscts 1.2.3.4:5.6.7.8

That way you never even have to spawn a shell. If you wanted a fixed
IP for each user, you could configure that almost the same way, by
using the login instead of /AutoPPP/ but in that case the user (or
their script, rather) would have to type their login name at a
login: prompt, after which mgetty would start pppd. Note that doing
this also makes it so that pppd doesn't *have* to be setuid since
mgetty can run pppd as root or what ever user-id you like. Long live
the venerable mgetty!

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com