Re: NFS and debian packaging system

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Portuesi Simone wrote:

> I've to install debian linux in 4 PCs here at the university (now they
> have an old slackware). My idea was to have one of them to export users
> and their directories plus a directory with apps not in the debian
> distribution (a sort of non-local). Up to here no problems arise.
> But I'd like also to share man pages, info files and documentation
> across the 4 systems but that will break the packaging handling of
> Debian (ex. removing a package in one PC will remouve all the
> documentation  and help on the others), is there a work-around?
> In particular is there a way to inform the debian packaging system of
> shared files ?
I maintain a Debian system with a workstation as NFS server. That means
the /usr tree resides on a drive mounted via NFS (ro) and some
parts of var resides also there. I linked /var/texmf and /var/catman
on a NFS mounted drive (rw). This works fine for me and I'm intended
to use this server from several other Linux PCs (but not tried yet).

I have to mention that I had serious trouble while installing and
if you have problems don't hesitate to ask me special problems.
But once installed (using some tricky workarounds) it works fine
(but slightly slower).

> Also is there a method to install part of a Debian package in a
> different directory? (I think the only one is to modify packages by
> hand).
That's not necessary in any way.  The only thing is to link some
files in /etc to a common tree but I think this is not necessary
and too much work.

> Even if it is complex it would be nice if future versions of Debian
> would permit such kind of installation or have tools to permit it.
OK, tell me your problem. I think you will cope with them with the
actual version.

Andreas.