Re: debian in a lab

Christoph,

> ..., I usually install [packages] ... in a directory
> /usr/local/packages/<package_name> ...
> I use a script to move files into the correct directories.

> The appeal of such an approach is [ability to] use any packages ... without
> [installing] anything locally except a set of well-defined links[,]
> and without using up local storage or worrying about updates. ...
> this is a way of providing software to people without having to be root
> on their machines and thus without being responsible for their mistakes...

> I found that this works extremely well with most packages. Is anyone thinking
> of adding a concept like this to standard Debian as an option?

	Yes!  Ray Ingles and myself are currently defining this concept and
would appreciate your help.  Please see our prior mail (sent 4/15/97)
"Re: DEITY TEAM -- REQUEST FOR FUNCTIONALITY and COMMENTS".

						Robert Meier

FANUC Robotics North America, Inc.	Internet: meierrj@frc.com
Voice: 1-810-377-7469			Fax:      1-810-377-7363