Seeing double: web browsers

Dear Debian users,

Would anyone know why icons in the toolbar and inline images in the
formatted text appear at half-width twice, side-by-side, in Mosaic and
Chimera? They can be clicked on as usual, just that they are there in, say,
slimline duplicate.

I can't say what happens with Netscape 3.01--after installing it and
resolving the bus errors, it turns out you need SVGA graphics and I'm
pretty much stuck with VGA on my laptop.

Looking through the online Mosaic documentation and scanning the
Linux documentation doesn't indicate this has ever happened to anybody
before. ;-) This is under Debian 1.2.5, with XFree86 3.2 set to generic
VGA, running in 16 colours at 640x480.

Cheers, thank you and happy hacking,

     Nikolaj

--