Re: How do you guys read news offline?

> I thought about using suck to download the news articles I am
> interested in as soon as a PPP is up.  But how do I post my own
> articles back to the net?  I would really be grateful if someone
> could post his/her working setup.

I use leafnode in conjunction with diald to allow for unattended
retrieval and posting of new articles.

My setup is as follows:

1) Comment out the commands that Debian sets up in
/etc/cron.daily/leafnode.  I do this because I want to retrieve more
frequently than once a day to balance the load and because I like my
postings to go out sometime in the near future.

2) Set up a crontab for user "news" like the one in attachment #1.
As root, "crontab -u news -e".  This will give you more flexible
scheduling.

3) If you look at the attached crontab file, you'll see I run a
script called /etc/leafnode.fetch.  This script is provided as
atttachment #2.  Personally, I don't like leafnode's ability to
download newsgroups based upon which ones have been read lately.  I
just want it to download the few I read -- even if I only read them
once every two months.

Paul Serice