Re: ANNOUNCE: New Logo and Feedback Page for the Debian Logo (v11)

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Douglas L Stewart wrote:

> > Why does your page still have this comment:
> >
> > "(There once was an official logo with a baby gnu on it (see above), but
> > it has been dropped with the separation of Debian and the FSF.)"
> >
> > We kissed and made up long ago. Below I've quoted this page:
> >
> >    http://www.debian.org/cooperation.html
> >
> > Even if our relationship is such that it isn't appropriate to use a "baby
> > gnu", the statement is misleading.
>
> I don't see anything misleading about it.  There doesn't require an
> animosity for a logo to change.  For instance, I work in a division of a
> company that will at some point probably go public and thus become its own
> company.  At that time we'll have to change our logo and name.

In the current stat of "cooperation", it seems that the reason for _not_
using the baby gnu logo has nothing to due with the "separation". As Bruce
(sort of) said, the reason could be stated as:

"we wanted our own logo"
"no need to use theirs because we're a stand-alone entity" etc.

This fits your example. The statement as it is screams "un-cooperation" to
me.

This is a simple issue. Let's not get carried away like the editor thread!

...RickM...