Install report, finally

Well, after having had many problems with the disks, now I finally got it
booting. Problem was that the files, once moved to /dev/sdbx they're wrong,
their md5sums were broken.
When I downloaded them on that partition and copied them to the dos
partition immediately everything was ok. Don't ask me why...

With the Install there were some real nasty things.

1. I had two previously initialized swap partitions (dev/sda8 and /dev/sdb1)
that wee not detected and I wasn't able to even initialize them with the
menu. After doing a swapon myself it still complained about not having a
swap device - I chose to do without.

2. On the first boot it seems that the utmp file was not writable or not
there, the getty respawned too fast and no login was possible. After reboot
everything was ok.

3. On the boot discs there were only /dev/sdb1 to /dev/sdb8, both 9 and 10
were missing. Well, it's not difficult to have 10 partitions if you a) only
use two primary, one to be an extended partition with the rest being logical
ones and b) if you're lucky and have a 4g hd. I had to mknod them and seem
to have forgotten to do it on /target/dev/, too, what was further annoying.

4. dselect is just not the best interface for me... I'd like to know the
size of what I install. Not that I don't have enough space but I'll never
ever again install picon-whatsoever, besides, since I re-installed some
things (the perl and perl-base problem (argh!) again), and all the picons
were re-installed again (*sigh*)...

5. The tetex- thing... Since I chose tetex I am sure it was not said
it will be troublesome - should be 'conflicts with' ...

I've not yet gone further since it was about 0250 ...

Alexander

--
Das Fleisch ist willig, doch der Koch ist zu schwach.
Alexander Koch - <>< - aka efraim - +49-(0)89-64289385