Re: update-menus

 > > > I notice that many of the packages tell you that you can run a config
> > > program (gpmconfig, apacheconfig, smailconfig) at a later time to change
> > > things. Shouldn't these be added to menus as part of the install? That way
> > > root could run pdmenu and easily get to a submenu of config tools. Where
> > > user config is allowed, it would be placed on their menus, too.
> > >
> > > For now, I am trying to build a list of such config commands as I
> > > encounter them.
>
> That's a good idea (nice to see you're using my pdmenu program, btw :-)

And that you're using the menu's, btw :-)

But seriously, I emaild this to the list yesterday (I think), but it hasn't
shown up here yet. So, I'll post it again (after modifying the some lines).

I agree with Joey that Apps/System/Admin would be a better place.
Also, I'd like to suggest these menuentries (in the new format):

needs=text     command=/usr/sbin/liloconfig section=Apps/ReConfig title=Lilo \
               longtitle="Reconfigure the way you boot" \
               privileges=root

then the menu-methods can install this menuentry as something like
(fvwm2):

+ "Lilo"  Exec /usr/bin/X11/xterm -T "Lilo" -e /usr/sbin/needpriv -id root -c /usr/sbin/
liloconfig

and /usr/sbin/needpriv will do things like:
#!/bin/bash
#set $command and $id
if test $id != $USER; then
  echo You are about to run $command, but you'll need $id privileges for that.
  echo Enter $id password:
..... (su to $id, and so on).

This way, you don't need to run the window manager as root to be able to run
the lilo config programme. I'll supply the /usr/sbin/needpriv script with
the menu package.

Anyone any comments?

Thanks,

--